I’ve told you before about my two passions: Language and Music. Watch this slide show that shows us how music and communication are related. Here is a summary of some of the most important points in this slide show:
- Music and speech are intertwined starting in the womb. (We knew that!)
- The melody of our voices is the musical nature of speech and it conveys feelings and meaning. For example, when we are happy we use a high pitch voice and we speak fast. When we are sad our speech is slow and we use deep monotone voice.
- Taking music lessons helps us understand better the melody of words and interpret the emotions that they convey.
- Pitch can vary between languages.
- Our voices start getting shaped in the womb by the voices the baby hear.
- In tonal languages like mandarin or Vietnamese, pitch determines the meaning of words.
- Our perception of pitch is critical when we communicate to understand what others feel and mean.
- When we learn to talk we help our music ability a well.
I loved this slide show because in just a few minutes it helps capture and understand the important relationship between language and music! I love my job!
Did you learn something with this slide show? Share your comments!