ahhh 3 year olds, the babies are growing. At this age they are more active, talk more and they want more independence. They are exploring the new world and trying to make sense of it. Now, they understand and can express themselves better, so here’s what to expect:
- They talk about activities at school or at friends’ homes.
- People outside of the family usually understand child’s speech.
- They use a lot of sentences that have 4 or more words.
- They usually talk easily without repeating syllables or words.
- They hear you when you call from another room.
- They hear the television or radio at the same loudness level as other family members.
- They answer simple “who?”, “what?”, “where?”, and “why?” questions.
You should continue doing the things you were encouraged to do between 2-3 years old. But now expand on social communication and storytelling skills by “acting out” scenarios of daily routine such as cooking, taking naps, or going to the doctor with a dollhouse or other toys. Do the same type of role-playing activity when playing dress-up. As always, ask your child to repeat what he or she has said if you do not understand it completely. This shows that what he or she says is important to you.
Have they shared any interesting news from school or daycare?