Reading to your baby is one of the simplest activities you can do, but it has many benefits. This simple activity can have positive effects in baby’s intellectual and emotional development.
Here are some of those benefits:
- it helps language development – reading aloud to them helps them learn new words, especially when you point to the picure as you read them. It also helps them learn about communication skills, such as turn-taking, eye contact and listening.
- it helps baby explore different emotions and the world around them – As you read to them, use different voices and exaggerate different emotions. This will enhance the meaning of the words to baby.
- it helps you bond with him/her – Reading to infants is one of the best, and cheapest, ways to bond to your little one.
- it helps the brain to grow – When you read you stimulate the brain with new words and sounds.
- it begins education early – Fun times with a book help children learn to listen, build longer and stronger attention spans.
- it has a calming effect – whether you read your kid’s books, poetry, Shakespeare, or the TV Guide, the sound of a soft, soothing voice reading will often calm an infant who is crying, feeling ill, or having trouble sleeping, helping him or her to relax.
It’s never too early to start reading to your baby! Do you have any stories you’d like to share with us?